:There are some superfoods and supplement that are just ‘hype’. There are others that may have some benefits, but are under-researched and still in their early days. Nigella sativa (black seed) has passed the test of time and has recently impressed in the lab and in clinical trials.
HERE ARE 4 SCIENTIFIC REASONS TO SUPPLEMENT WITH NIGELLA SATIVA:
1) IT’S A POWERFUL ANTIOXIDANT
Oxidation is a chemical reaction which can lead to the damage of cells. It has been found to play a key role in cancerous tumours. Antioxidants are chemicals which counteract this cellular damage. Thymoquinone is a key ingredient in Black Seed and helps fight diseases linked to cellular damage from heart disease to cancer. Studies have found that Black Seed shrink and kill tumour cells. (2)
Inflammation is the immune system’s response to protect the body during injury and infection. Sometimes inflammatory responses are triggered in the body when there are no infections or illness to fight off. The properties found within Black Seed reduce the symptoms of inflammation, like joint pain and joint stiffness. (3)
3) YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM -Nigella sativa has shown impressive immune-boosting abilities.
Black seed increases bone marrow production as well as the function of white blood cells. This boosts the immune system and its ability to fight infections. Black seed also helps in autoimmune diseases where the body starts attacking itself; these include arthritis, asthma, Crohns disease and irritable bowel syndrome, psoriasis, and type one diabetes.
It is also worth noting that taking black seed consistently normalises the red blood cell function by regulating the shape and size of the blood cells. In studies where the red and white blood cells were found to be smaller, taking black seed showed an increase in their size, and red blood cells that are at the optimum size and condition are better enabled to distribute oxygen and nutrients around the body and fight infections. (4)
4) WEIGHT LOSS
Black seed contains CLA — conjugated linoleic acid, a fatty acid that speeds up fat burning and lowering the melting point of fat which results in more efficient weight loss.(5)It also works as a good weight loss aid by normalising the blood sugar levels in the body which reduces the sugar and carbohydrate cravings. It also limits the amount of cholesterol absorbed by the body.An eight-week experiment found more weight loss in those consuming a teaspoon of Black Seed daily to those who did not. (6) The weight loss showed a higher percentage of fat loss and a decrease in body mass index than the group with the same diet but without Black Seed consumption.
Black Seed, from the nigella sativa plant, has been used for centuries for both its flavour and healing properties. Black seed is also known as ‘the blessed seed’ in the Arab world and its usage can be traced back right through Islam’s 1400 year old history. There are over 800 peer review studies referencing it (1). Continue reading for 4 key benefits of nigella sativa.
(2) Randhawa MA1, Alghamdi MS.; “Anticancer activity of Nigella sativa (black seed) – a review,” Am J Chin Med. 2011, PMID: 22083982.
(3) Woo CC1, Kumar AP, Sethi G, Tan KH.; “Thymoquinone: potential cure for inflammatory disorders and cancer,” Biochem Pharmacol. 2012 Feb 15, PMID: 22005518
(4) Live blood analysis my Marlyn Harris: “Live Blood Analysis - Affects of Nigella Sativa (Black Seed) Oil” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_1i63fDlzk
(5) Development and characterization of structured lipids containing capric and conjugated linoleic acids as functional dietary lipid molecules
Phuong-Lan Vu, Jung-Ah Shin, Yun-Jeung Lee, Ha-Young Nam, Jeung-Hee Lee, Casimir C. Akoh, and Ki-Teak Lee
(6) Farzaneh E1, Nia FR2, Mehrtash M2, Mirmoeini FS3, Jalilvand M1.; “The effects of 8-week Nigella sativa Supplement and Aerobic Training on Lipi Profile and VO2 max in Sedentary Overweight Females,” int J Prev Med., 2014 February, PMID: 24627749